Last week WhatsApp silently got updated with new read recipient features and letting people see exactly when a message is read, not just delivered. Previously we used to see only two grey tick marks but now it shows one extra blue tick, one tick mark when you sent a message, which changed to two grey ticks when it was delivered. Now, the app shows two blue ticks when the recipient has read your message.
This feature was rolled out without an update to the app itself. This means that there was no privacy setting to disable read receipts when the feature was rolled out. But as we were mentioned after the WhatsApp Update that soon we will back on this to resolve the issues.
Here’s how to get rid of those annoying blue ticks aka read recipient in WhatsApp – but if you do this, then you also won’t be able to see the receipts either. For now, this is only available for Android users, and in fact you have to update the WhatsApp manually via the WhatsApp website.
For now, the updated app is not listed at Play Store but according to the sources, soon it will be there and also the update on other platforms will be available concerning the issues.
How to disable Blue tick (read recipient) on WhatsApp
- Download WhatsApp on your PC or Phone
- Connect your phone to your laptop or PC now.
- Copy the APK file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone.
- Locate the WhatsApp apk file on your phone now and tap to install it.
- If prompted to select installer, then select “Package Installer”.
- Allow “Unknown Sources” from Settings > Security if prompted.
- Proceed with the installation and complete it.
- Open WhatsApp and tap three vertical dots icon on the top right.
- Now go to Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Uncheck Read receipts.